The River Thames

The River Thames

Sponsor me!

Please use the link below to sponsor me at my justgiving page - or go to http://www.justgiving.co.uk/walkforwilliam

Support me on JustGiving

Monday 3 September 2007

THE WALK - DAY 10 - 03/09/07






Dear William,

Yesterday I was advised that I would need to take a break from walking to avoid serious damage to my feet. As a consequence I decided on a fairly leisurely stroll from Laleham to Kingston Bridge (some 12 miles). Tomorrow I will only be doing 5 miles to rest the feet but keep the leg muscles toned up.

Running shotgun today was my good friend Elias Mattar who very kindly provided our transport in the morning. His wife, Greta walked with me today around 5/6 miles until she had to leave for another appointment. She then found out that she hadn't brought any money so I lent her £10. I took a photo of her holding the money to make sure she gives it back to me in due course! Greta, apart from being a good friend, has been a nurse for many years and is the one who has been tending to my feet.

During the final stretch from Hampton Court Palace to Kingston Bridge I was joined by Ros Hooper the Marie Curie Cancer Care Surrey Fundraising Manager and Lisa Flanagan, another member of their fundraising team. I am very grateful to them for taking the time out of their very busy schedule to walk with me.


Earlier this evening I had a phone call from Henry Sacramento the Community Officer at the Royal Gibraltar Police who was sending his own best wishes and those of the Commissioner of Police and other ranks. It is good to know that people are taking the trouble to follow my progress on my blog.

Well, William, not too long to go now! For some reason I remembered today that time that you came to London to play at the annual dinner of the Society of Electrical Engineers. You thought it would be a bit boring so you insisted that I came along with you. You also managed to get them to agree to pay me £100 for assisting you. You made me hire a dinner jacket and then I had to sit on the stage with you and turn over the music as you played. As I do not read music I found it hard all the time to contain my laughter! And...we got fed as well! We used to have a good laugh every time you came to London.


This afternoon Diane came to the rescue as usual and collected me from Kingston Bridge and took me home for a well earned (I think!) rest.

Well, I am almost there and barring any major problems I should reach the Thames barrier on Friday 7th September somewhere between 3.30p.m. and 4.00 p.m.

Wish me luck

2 comments:

greta said...

Robert, looking at the photo of your toes &their macerated appearance ,there is a good chance I will be removed from the Register & will not be allowed to practice again.So i will use the£10 to start the retirement fund.

m.falquero said...

ooh Robert, horrible. Having seen your feet at the end of the walk on Sunday I did not expect to see them again! By Friday they will be worse and hopefully I shall be able to persuade you not to photograph them again.
We are so proud of you and had absolute faith in you finishing. Look forward to Friday.
Love you good friends Marie and Edward.