The River Thames

The River Thames

Sponsor me!

Please use the link below to sponsor me at my justgiving page - or go to http://www.justgiving.co.uk/walkforwilliam

Support me on JustGiving

Wednesday 29 August 2007

THE WALK - DAY 5 - 29/08/07















Dear William,

My good friend Diane Ball came to collect me this morning at 6.30 a.m. to take me to Sandford Lock where I had finished last night. I continued my walk along the path at 8.30. a.m. and ended up seven hours later in Shillingford a very beautiful village by the Thames.


My feet have been extremely sore today and there was one point that I almost gave up. I'm glad I didn't as later in the day things became easier and the pain eased somewhat. The weather was sunny in the morning although it clouded up in the afternoon, with a very welcome breeze blowing! The morning walk was very agreeable and I even managed to avoid the cows and one very mean -looking bull!) but the afternoon was pretty boring as, although I was walking along the path close to the river I couldn't see it as there were bushes and trees for miles and miles between the path and the river, blocking the view.

As I was walking on my own I had time to reflect on our youth once more. Do you remember that wooden board that Dad made up painted as a football field and the teams we made up using buttons? I suppose it was an early form of Subbutteo. We should have patented it! I seem to remember you were a very bad loser! It's funny to think that in those days we did not have TV's or computers to while away the hours. Those were the days!

At the end of the day Diane was there again to meet me and walked part of the way with me. She had even thought of bringing a cold beer. I must ask her to come again!

No comments: