The River Thames

The River Thames

Sponsor me!

Please use the link below to sponsor me at my justgiving page - or go to http://www.justgiving.co.uk/walkforwilliam

Support me on JustGiving

Thursday 30 August 2007

THE WALK - DAY 6 - 30/08/07




















Dear William,

It was my friend Greta's turn today to take me to continue my walk and to collect me at the end of the day. Contrary to yesterday I did not get a bottle of beer and I have told her this service must improve in future! Greta is a nurse and she brought with her a collection of plasters. Apparently I had told her I wanted to get plastered but did not make it clear it was beer I wanted not the other stuff! Seriously though, she has been very good cleaning my wounds and is concerned about the blisters on my left foot. Tomorrow we are going to try some different dressings to try and ease the pain.

Something happened today which made me wonder if you had sensed my pain in some way. I was walking downstream of Wallingford when I came across the Oxford University Boat Club. You know how much I love rowing and of course James used to row for Pembroke, one of the Oxford colleges. Anyway, I went up to one of the windows to see if I could see any of the racing boats. The one nearest to me was named "WILLIAM"!

After that, I continued my walk with renewed vigour notwithstanding my feet! Today I have covered 16 miles and walked from Shillingford Lock to Purley-on-Thames , which is only a few miles from reading. Tomorrow I hope to walk as far as Henley. On Saturday and Sunday your son William will be walking with me as will his wife Pauline, who is currently in the UK receiving treatment following breast cancer. Also with me for the two days will be Ana Maria, so it will be a good family affair. My transport tomorrow is in the hands of Diane again, so I can look forward to my cold beer. Greta, please take note!

1 comment:

John Lee said...

Well done all. I used to play in Gibraltar, and William taught me a lot. A great man, sadly missed.
But he lives on in his music.
God Bless.
John.